Monday, November 10, 2008

Portland Bound

Beware... Book Ahead

Yes, that is us. This last weekend we went to Portland to visit family and a friend of mine from high school. It has been 12 years since I talked or saw my friend Karen and that was too long. We totally reconnected and started up without missing a beat, just as we were in high school. We were celebrating with her this weekend, as she is going to have a little girl in December! Zoe. The baby shower was wonderful. I got to spend time of course with Karen, but also her sister Patty and their mom, all who I haven't seen since graduating high school. It was so wonderful to see them again! Patty made these adorable baby buggy cakes that were pink with pink frosting, which Isabelle devoured.

Let me start at the beginning of our trip... We left home, and drove south... easy enough. After about 3 hours we arrived at Eric's cousin's house (Michael) where I and Isabelle changed and then left again 15 minutes later. Eric stayed at the house with Michael to hang out. Isabelle and I were off, with directions in hand to the Spaghetti Factory in Portland. Off we go... driving just fine, on and off the HWY, taking the turns and then oh no... its a one way street and the directions say to go turn left and you can only go right. I go right. But I was lost and somehow, while trying to get un-lost in an unknown city find myself at the "National College of Natural Medicine." This is where I decided to call the restaurant and ask for help. About 25 minutes later... with 'Travis' on the phone with me the whole time he got me to the restaurant with the bright purple roof. And there spent a great baby shower for and with Karen!!

The way back was so easy. I followed Patty back to the HWY and knew my way from there. It was interesting though, when following her, I saw where I was lost originally, and figured out that one of the roads that the directions asked me to turn on no longer existed, and of course there was the one way road issue. MAP QUEST needs to update!!!!

Once back at Michael's, Isabelle and I napped for an hour, then went up the road to Aunt Betsy's to say hi, and drop off our bags. And then dragged (asked) Michael to come with us to dinner at Patty's house. Good Thing Too!!! We would have been completely lost without him. He even got turned around with the directions. (And it was dark). But we made it to Patty's where I met their family's and they met Eric and it was the best evening! Us girls reminisced and caught up with stories and pictures while the hubby's chatted, watched the many games on TV and played with the kids. Isabelle, the youngest and only girl, totally held her own. :) It was so cute!! We eventually left the fun, Isabelle rubbing her eyes was the cue to go, and went back to Betsy's and slept soundly... including Isabelle. We were surprised at how well Isabelle slept in a new place and room and all... She must have been tired!

The next morning, we woke up and I was off to Washington Square, an Oregon Mall that is very nice!!! to meet up with Karen and have some more girl talk and catch up. We also shopped a bit of course. I got there without a hitch too. Then back to the house when Eric and Michael went off Christmas shopping (no tax in OR). Around 6 we left to come back home, and made it safely.

I know there are no pictures here.... sorry, I left the camera in Isabelle's other bag, not the one I brought with me to the shower. So we have to wait till they get sent to me, then I will post.

Either way, Karen and Patty, we are so staying in touch now and not letting another 12 years get in the way. And there is only 3 hours between us... not far at all.

Congrats on Zoe, we all can't wait to meet her!

No comments: