Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sayings to Live By...

We grow with our moms telling us all these sayings like:
'if your friends are all jumping off a bridge, you gonna do it too?'
'do as I say, not as I do'
'do you want me to give you a good reason to cry?'
'just wait till you have a child, just like you'
'if you keep doing that with your face, it's going to freeze like that'

Yes, we have all heard them growing up, and now that I'm a parent I am starting to use them too.

But one in particular came into light yesterday:
'Always wear clean underwear, you never know where you'll end up.'

So the (short) story goes: Alarm clock wakes me up, shower, dressed, leave for work, pull over on the side of the road in unbearable pain (would rather give birth to triplets naturally with no epidural), called Eric who called our nanny to get to the house earlier then usual), called my co-worker at work saying I wasn't going to make it and in turn he came to get me and take me to the ER, instead once he got there and saw 'me' he called 911. On a '10' scale, this was an 18.

Time moved so slowly as the pain migrated throughout my mid/lower left part of my back and intensified at an alarming rate. Giving birth and back spasms are so much better then this intense, non-release pain, and once it migrated to the spine ... there are no words, I actually screamed. Did I mention it got more intense... for about 20-30 minutes...

As soon as the EMT's got there the pain was gone, well more like a 3/4 on that 10 scale. All vitals looked good and well... 'what's the problem mam?' apparently nothing... hmmm . Eric finally got there too and it was recommended that I still go to the ER to get checked out... they all had their predictions on what had just happened. Plus I still hurt, but it was very bearable.

So off to the 'animal hospital' as Eric calls it, Enumclaw Hospital, newly opened and quite nice... but smack dab in the middle of nowhere, hence the nickname. No wait in the ER, got admitted and the IV started, all vitals good, and they had their predictions too, but nothing affirmed till I got my CT scan. So after a minimal dose of morphine, off I went to radiology, and an hour later all predictions were concluded... Kidney Stones. :P Sure enough too, while I was there, out it came into the little strainer. (Yes, I took it home- a 'rock' that looks like a large grain of sand). Once it was out, I got discharged and home we went.

So now I know what to expect, pain wise, the next time this happens... yes, I got more and once you get one, you are more then likely going to have more throughout your life, and they will unexpectedly 'drop you to your knees.'

I now have 'stoners sympathy' ;)

And of course, all of this has aggrivated the PSD, so back to PT I go. :P hahaha

So on a good note, it is (sometimes) a good thing to listen to our (sometimes) wise parents. They may know a thing or two. :)

No comments: