Friday, April 02, 2010

Things Forgotten...

I have gotten so used to a two, almost 3 year old that having an infant in the house is like learning a foreign language.

Our beautiful little girl now talks fairly clearly with real conversations, is potty trained, eats real people food, is learning letters and numbers, is excited to start going to school, sleeps in a big girl bed: She has become a real independent little person.

I have honestly forgotten what it means to have an infant again. I remember the wobbly head part and the part that all an infant does is eats, sleeps, poops and occasionaly cries (we are so lucky again that William is a wonderful sleeper like Isabelle was).

But WOW!!! those few things are so big in the life of an infant and the mom! That wobbly head is hard to catch when he throws it about; even the doctor at the hospital 'difficulty' holding on to his head. Then there is the poop... When does it become solid??? I am really tired of the mustard seed liquid that is coming out... AND is it because he is a boy that it is projectile poop?? I do not remember that at all with Isabelle. I have learned and am 90% good with catching / covering quickly with a rag or diaper so not to get peed on, but that first week was a crazy adventure learning how to deal with that new piece of equipment. Like I said though, I am 90% good with that, I sill have my moments when I not quick enough and oooops, there it goes again.

Then there are the constant 'costume' changes, either from me being to slow in a diaper change and he pees or poops faster then I can get a new diaper under him or he spits up what seems like an entire bottle, even aftermultiple giant sized burps. A good day is 3 changes, but I have been up to 7 changes.

And then there are baby eyes... I forgot too how cute an infant is when they are trying to learn how to use their eyes and learn how to focus on things. He gets cross-eyes so often... I do remember Isabelle occasionally doing it, but it seems as though William does it a lot. I have some funny photos of him beign all cross-eyed. However the rolling of the eyes back in the head I don't remember and that is just plain creepy when he does it and all you see are the whites of his eyes.

The biggest thing I had forgotten is just how precious and little an infant is and how much I adore him!!!

Of course the newest learning piece for me is dealing with an infant and an almost 3 year old at the same time... wow! There is the curve ball if any. It is an adventure each day literally juggling feeding and burping an infant and running to the potty with the older one, for example. I could not imagine doing this with multiple kids running around. The house is a constant mess with toys, and the washing machine is run every day.

I wouldn't give this up for the world, though I do need to figure out a system where I don't live in a pigsty, since hiring a maid is out of the question. :( drat!

No comments: