Yes, I spelled it right....
When Isabelle was about 18 months old we bought her a 'potty.' She has played on it, used it as a chair, pretends to sit on it in our bathroom and go potty. She is sometimes into it and sometimes (mostly) not. My goal was to buy it when she was young, let her play with it, look at it, get used to it and then when she hit 2 years old, to really start working with her and potty training.
Well, I have started researching all the different potty training tips... getting children's books about the potty for Isabelle to look at to sticker prizes when she does good to use or non use of pull-ups (which BTW don't hold as much as diapers) to looking for 'all' the signs of her 'telling' me that she needs to go potty to setting a timer and asking her every 20 minutes each day if she needs to go potty and sitting on it every 20 minutes to using bribes or not to how excited or not you should get if they do potty in the potty. Yes, there is a lot here and every place I have been has hundreds of tips to help.
Oh, and Girl potty training and Boy potty training is VERY different. Supposedly girls are easier because of the aiming issues... however that can be solved for boys by putting a 'target' in the potty for them to aim at. I digress....
Since Isabelle does like to 'sit' on the potty, every time she asks to go 'potty' I say OK and off we go. This can last from 30 seconds to 10 minutes of bathroom 'fun.' And she is loving to wear pull-ups now, like a big baby girl (as she calls herself). Today, unlike no other we went in and sat on the potty when she asked and read a couple of books (no, not potty books - number/counting books). While there... she tooted. Yes, you read correctly. She tooted and thought it was the funniest thing!!! It makes a whole new sound in the porcelain. This of course made her want to stay longer on the potty... go figure, I am not in the mind of an almost 2 year old. But finally she was done and stood up ready to go and as I got hte pull-ups to put on her she started freaking out... 'mess mess mess...' and pointing down her leg. Hahaha, yes I laughed at her... she was peeing right down her leg, so I VERY quickly plopped her back on the potty to finish. I got super excited and we Hi-5'ed a bunch... there went that tip of excitement.
I'm sure there will be many an adventure with the potty, but we are off to a great start!
2 comments:
You're doing better than we are...we are about to hit 3, and there is absolutely no interest in the potty!
I echo "Fleetfeet", I know someone who has a three year old who has no interest in potty training. Way to go!
As a teacher though, I think excitement is exactly what she needs! Besides, how can a parent NOT be excited when it happens? I assume the idea of no more dirty diapers and wipes flash before your eyes as she is going peepee in the potty :)
Post a Comment